Monday, January 31, 2011

A LIGHTLY TUNED DAIHATSU COPEN

(Jan 22 2011, 05:30 PM)

When I landed in Japan, got into Tokyo, and started seeing these tiny, tiny cars all around, I fell in love. So it was natural for me to fall in love with this tuned Copen that was at Top Secret's shop. 

I've liked Daihatsu Copens for a few years now. Like many in States, I was first introduced to these cars from video games. 

Just as we arrived at Top Secret, one of the guys was moving this Copen out of the garage to make room for the white R34 (next to the Top Secret CR-Z in the back of the photo) so it can be worked on in the shop. 

I love how gigantic a normal sized Japanese man looks in a Copen.

It's hard to know just how small these cars are until you realize that in this photo, the license plate is not a comically larger sized but it is normal sized!

The car has been slightly dropped on a set of coil overs and is rolling on a set of what looks like some old school Sparco wheels (can anyone take a guess what these wheels are?). For added fun, the owner opted for a set of Yokohama AO48s tires.

When I first set my eyes on this car, I noticed the power bulge on the hood. And since I was at Top Secret, I was hoping under the bulge was some monstrously tuned engine. 

Sadly, that wasn't the case.

The JB-DETi 660cc engine has been lightly modified. The turbo's intake has been upgraded as well as an upgraded intercooler. The engine has been tuned with an HKS F-Con V Pro. The original 64 hp has been boosted to a little over 100 hp.

That's stock Miata power, but in a car that's 1000 pounds lighter. Copen's may be front-wheel drive but imagine flogging this car around with its upgraded suspension, sticky tires and with 100 horses to play around with. Sounds like a load of fun to me!

Upgraded power means that the exhaust needs some bigger pipes. What’s a normal sized pipe on a regular sized car looks gigantic on the Copen.

The Z3 fenders I'm a bit iffy on, but I'd say that could be overlooked for the fact that this Copen is overall pretty sweet. 

On a perfect day, with the Copen's top down, and on the perfect road, I'm 100% certain that this car would put a huge smile on your face.

100hp on a 1700lb car, how can that not be fun?

-Linhbergh

Source: speedhunters.com

No comments:

Post a Comment